Tuesday, May 31, 2011

DIY: ice cream cake

My husband and I love ice cream in all of its forms, so it makes sense that for our birthdays, we have ice cream cake.

Beware: this cake does not actually contain any cake (but it could if you wanted it to).

This is the cake that I made for my husband’s birthday in March:
DIY Ice cream cake

Ingredients/Supplies

  • Ice Cream--approx 1.5 pints or whatever size the half-gallon comes in now; pick your favourite flavor

  • something for the crust (ie: oreos, cookies of any kind, graham crackers, etc). I used almost an entire package of off brand mint oreo cookies.

  • 9x9 pan or pyrex

  • Optional: toppings (I used egg shaped Reeces candies since it was right before Easter), hot fudge, fruit (honestly all of it is optional...this is entirely a “throw in whatever sounds good at the moment” type of recipe)



Pull out the hot fudge and start to microwave it in 20 second increments until it is hot-ish.

If you can multitask, break the cookies on a cutting board with a rolling pin while you are microwaving. If you can’t multi-task, just warm the hot fudge after you’ve already crushed the cookies.

Put the cookies in a small bowl and coat with the hot fudge. It should be more cookie than fudge, but really, do what makes you feel good.

Take a spoon and press the cookie-fudge mixture into the bottom of the glass pan--don’t forget the corners. I think my “crust” was about an inch deep in the pan. Throw the entire pan in the freezer and then lick the spoon.

About 20-30 minutes before you plan to pull the pan out of the freezer, take the ice cream out and let it start to soften on the counter.

Pull out the pan and spoon the ice cream on top of the crust mixture. Fill until you’ve used up the ice cream or the pan is full--which ever comes first. Add your toppings to the top of the ice cream. Throw the entire thing back into the freezer and then be patient.

I was not patient, so I do not have many pictures of actual “steps”. Honestly, I’m happy I remembered to take any pictures at all. I was really jones-ing for some ice cream while I was making this.

In the past, I’ve done a graham cracker and melted butter crust that did not really turn out so well. I’ve also topped the cake in berries of all kind and it has been delish!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com