Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Graduation Quilt

So where are all the crafting posts? Isn’t that a lot of what this blog is supposed to be about? I’ve been on a major self-improvement kick lately, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been sewing my little fingers off.

I’m making my first quilt ever! (Ok, I did quilt a table runner last year). It is for my sister-in-law who is graduating from high school next month and she just turned 18 last week. As a birthday/graduation present, I’m making her a blue and gold quilt in the colors of the university she’ll be going to.

quilt for Diane

I did not want it to be “in your face” blue and gold, so I went with some softer colors with varying shades of blues and some of the golds are almost a rust color. I bought the fabric on a Sunday (Sue from Quilter’s Market was super helpful and made an otherwise intimidating experience super fun!) and I pieced together the entire top except for the border within a week. All I need to buy is the batting and the backing and put the whole thing together and quilt it. The quilting should be an interesting experience.

Here is the pattern.

Things I’ve learned from my first quilt:
  1. I am not that great at quilt math. I have so much extra fabric of the big squares and I almost did not have enough for the small squares. In fact, two of the small squares are actually smaller pieces sewn together to make up the square. I also have to go buy more of the smaller border because that totally did not work out.
  2. Cutting (accurately) is really hard.
  3. Rotary blades get dull very fast
  4. My sewing machine and I enjoy good, quality time together

1 comments:

Skye McLain said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog! :) I am following you now :)

I love that quilt! I am afraid I don't have the patience to start a quilt but I definitely want to learn how to use a sewing machine. Somewhere my 7th grade self is cringing at the thought of me thinking that after the horrendous "pillow" i made back then but I think I am ready to give it another go! :)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com